Sunday, September 7, 2008

The LONG drive home

It was quite the process getting packed.
Our car was "busting at the seams", with all the stuff I wanted to take home. But we managed to get everything in and still have enough room to sit.
Jack found ways to keep himself entertained. We heard him laughing and when we turned around he had placed his toy bag on his head, and he thought he was very funny. It was pretty funny as you can see. He was such a trooper. He never even cried the whole time. (thanks to Grandma Kathy for sending us with new toys for the way)


The first day we drove all the way to Lincoln, Nebraska. We decided that we wanted to stop and get a hotel and have something decent to eat. Well, we ended up getting lost trying to find a hotel and so it was 11:00 pm by the time we found a place to stop. I was ready to lose it by then, actually I pretty much did. The hotel we stopped at only had fast food around it, and we were extremely tired of fast food. But since it was 11 and we hadn't had dinner we decided to just go to Arby's. I was tired and ornery and then I started thinking about missing my family, and how bad the drive sucked and we still had to go 4-5 more hours the next day, so I started crying. We were in the Arby's drive-through and Luke looked at me and I was crying, so he asked me why I was crying, and then I got mad and we started arguing and I told him I didn't want anything to eat. Meanwhile the Arby's lady was listening to the whole thing and after our little argument she didn't say anything else. So I realize this and as Luke pulled to the window I was so embarrased so I was trying to hide my head. It was pretty funny.
So we got back to the hotel and Luke realized that I had had enough of that long day so he told me to get in the shower and he would take care of Jack and put him to bed. Sweet husband. So I was in the shower and all I hear is Luke and Jack out giggling on the beds. They were playing a game and having a good time. I began to doubt if Jack was really my kid. Good thing he looks like me or I really wouldn't be sure. I was crying and Jack was just his normal happy self. He had been strapped in his car seat all day and he could still have a good time. I couldn't be in such a bad mood after hearing Luke and Jack giggling together. I am so thankful for my happy boys. It didn't matter what had gone on that day, all that mattered is our little family was together. I Love our little family, we are so blessed to have each other.

The next day we drove the rest of the way home, and by 2 PM we arrived in good old Lawrence, Kansas.

It felt good to be home!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

I think this is why there has to be dads, they seem to always be able to be silly with the kids, even when things are crazy and stressful! I'm glad you guys made it back to Kansas okay and that Jack did so well for you guys!

Jay and Ang said...

Hey Sammy! I miss you guys so much! Looks like you're headed back to school. How was your summer back home? I miss Utah so much. Haven't been back since we moved to Alabama. Maybe for Christmas...it's still up in the air. jack is sooo BIG!!!

Kylie Blackwell said...

Oh I am so glad you made it safe and sound. Sorry it was such a hard time for you. Totally understandable. Wow aren’t kids just sent from Heaven? Jack is a ray of sun shine. So dang cute. I love how good he was for you, what a good little feller!

Anonymous said...

What a fun summer we had. I am glad you made it back ok. We miss you guys already but it is one thing nice to look forward to about Christmas Time! Jack is sooooooooo cute if I do say so myself.
Hope everything is going well for you.
We love you,
Grandma Jill

jenni kaufusi said...

i wish we could have seen each other. we are now back in utah, and your back in kansas. Looks like you you guys had a fun summer.