Our visit home to Utah this time was a little bittersweet. Jack and I switched our flights last minute so that we could get home sooner because a week before my Grandpa had a stroke. I kept debating whether it was necessary to change our flight plans, but after some convincing from Luke that we better get home we switched our flights and Jack and I arrived in Utah on December 10th.
Grandpa had been doing alright off and on and as soon as we got off the plane, we dropped off the kids and headed down to see him. I am not going to lie he was in a lot worse shape than I was expecting. I was very glad that I was finally in Utah and able to see him though. I had a very special time at the hospital with him. He was aware that I was there and we talked about Jack and he felt my prgnant belly while we talked about baby Charlie. At one point he acted as if he was trying to tell me something and as I leaned in so I could hear him, he puckered up for a big kiss. Oh how I love this man. We spent the rest of the weekend going back and forth from the hospital. On Monday we got the call that he wasn't doing very well and it was time for everyone to say goodbye. So this time as we headed to the hospital it was a lot harder. He had tons of family with him that night and it was nice to be together as a family. He died early Tuesday morning.
I am so grateful that I was able to go home early and be with my family. If I wouldnt have changed my flight I would have missed seeing him by a day. So although we didn't get to do all of the Christmas traditions we usually do this year, it definitely made Christmas special this year reflecting on our wonderful memories with Grandpa and spending lots of time with family.
As I started to look through my pictures I realized there are so many pictures that I love of Grandpa and Jack. He was a huge part of our life and we loved going to visit him when we traveled back to Utah. He was a such a big teddy bear especially with the kids.
As I started to look through my pictures I realized there are so many pictures that I love of Grandpa and Jack. He was a huge part of our life and we loved going to visit him when we traveled back to Utah. He was a such a big teddy bear especially with the kids.
This first picture is our last visit home to Utah in September. we got to spend Grandpa's 83rd birthday with him, going to dinner and going to an Owl's baseball game.
7 comments:
Grandpa was one of a kind and will be greatly missed by us all. Beautiful post.
I'm so sorry Sam. Sounds like he was a great man. I love all of the pictures of him and Jack- Those will be cherished for sure. I'm glad you were able to see him and to spend time with your family.
those pictures are so cute! He looks like an amazing man! I'm sorry for your loss but glad you got to say goodbye!
I am so sorry about your Grandpa! It is always hard because they hold such a special place in our hearts. I know you had some great memories with him. love ya
I am so glad you made it back in time to spend some time with him. Those are such cute pictures of him with Jack.
Great post! sorry for your loss but glad you were able to be there with and for your family.
What sweet, sweet pictures of Jack and your Grandpa.
Post a Comment