Tuesday, April 21, 2009

quote of the day

Today I decided I was going to try be a really good mom and plan a picnic at the park with some of Jack's friends after story-time. I spent all last night making cookies to bring, I got up and packed a sack lunches, and packed the blankets and bubbles. It sounded like a perfect way to spend the morning. It turned out to be not so perfect. Jack spent the majority of the time crying and fighting with his friends. Very frustrating!!! I finally decided I had had enough and I had to tear Jack away while he was screaming and throwing a tantrum. I had another mom that I didn't know be very overbearing and very motherly to Jack, because I obviously don't know how to take care of him. All I can say is that is turned out to be a train wreck. I came home and put Jack down for a much needed nap. I then checked my email and a couple blogs I like to frequent. It was quite a coincidence that this quote was on more than 1 of the blogs I like to look at.

"Your toddler will do what they need to do, and not necessarily what you say. If you're patient, then they will be patient. If you speak gently, then they will be gentle. Whatever you want them to be, you have to start becoming."

-Helen Hunt

So maybe Jack and I can learn to be more patient and gentle together. There are definitely challenging times being a mom, but the good times definitely outweigh them!

another quote that I love is:

"keep calm and carry on"


8 comments:

megship said...

Ah man! I have to practice what I preach?!

Ran into Summer today. We are gettin' together when you get your butt here! Woot!

Tiff said...

I remember once when Kwinc was little she was going through such a mean stage and I had a couple of my really good friends (who did not have kids her age yet) say to me "have you tried the time out mat" I was so mad I thought are you telling me how to raise my kid cause I am not doing a good job. Needless to say they didn't mean it like that and then they had kids that became that age and were just as bad or worse. And I still wonder if they tried the time out mat... ha ha j/k but really it is frustrating when someone else is trying to help. But you are doing a great job and I am sure you are enjoying this novel I am writing you right now! ha ha
See you soon!!!

Summmack said...

I love that we are starting to get in the same stage of life :)
Thanks for the reminder....I could have used it more yesterday ;)

Kylie Blackwell said...

OH that is so hard! I don't look forward to the toddler stage... Well I think your doing a great job with Jack beacuse he melts my heart! I really like that quote! Remind me of it when I write on my blog what brat Irey is when she is three... or 11 months!

Todd and Shana said...

Thanks for passing on the reminder! I always thought that people had just given up by the time they had their last kids, but I'm learning that the more I have, the more I have to let go. I can't control everything they do, no matter how much I wish I could. I just do what I can to contain the meltdowns and hope I don't get too many dirty looks along the way!

Clark Family said...

Oh Sam, I'm sorry it was a bad experience! Don't worry about the other other mom. Thanks for the quite too, I think that something I needed to hear!

jayne said...

lame,lame,lame!!!! I hate days like that.

Jen Carpenter said...

Thank you for sharing that! We have many days like that, and with a girl it can be more dramatic as well! I am a firm believer though to teach and act by example, amazing how it always works! He is a beautiful, well-behaved boy- YOU ARE DOING AN AMAZING JOB, DON'T EVER FORGET THAT!It is a tough job!